Friday, August 20, 2021

Gardening Southern-style 2

 




Today was an auspicious day. I had my hairdresser take me all the way grey. Not just half grey and half brown. But, before I made it to the hairdresser I stopped at Lowe's and bought some new, sharp ended tools. I found my favorite tool, the hula Hoe for $19 while it was on websites one for $99. I also bought a post hole digger, a bulb digger, a new rake and a sharp shovel.
I did wait for it to cool off 3:30. Still hot. But not high noon hot.
Keeping to the plan I used to stick to when I had the big yard on Cherokee, I decided I needed to dig up the giant elephant ear in the garden now to be dedicated to butterflies. I needed to plant the Miss Molly butterfly bush and the yarrow I found at Dothan Nurseries. I managed to get the massive elephant ear out, divided and distributed through the back flower bed, though not planted. Too hot.
Then I remembered I needed to get the Miss Molly butterfly bush in the ground. I used the post hole digger for that and the yarrow and decided I would get down on the ground to tuck the little beauties in. That went well.
But then came the getting up part. I have had two hip replacements and the knees are begging for attention. But I was determined. Then I heard the voice of an angel. My next door neighbor, Gantt Pierce! I debated about 5 seconds on calling him for help. Afraid he might get away, I called him. Wiry guy though he is he lifted me easily. I am so blessed having him and Niki Blumentritt Pierce close. Niki heard Molly crying one afternoon after she fell on the concrete steps out of the gazebo and came to her rescue.
Joe would have chastised me for not having good sense and getting out there where it was so hot. Then he would have turned around and gone back into the air conditioning. He would probably have been right. But nothing ventured nothing gained. And I couldn't just sit inside thinking about doing something. When he was around I just waited for him to leave and then moved furniture or nailed holes in the wall. Or dug up elephant ears.
And I will probably go plant the elephant ears tomorrow.
Guess where the new tools are? Still in the car. It was too hot to go out and get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!