A young friend wrote and asked about a comment I made referring to Sharia Law when posting a link to an article on Khizr Khan who spoke at the Democratic Convention.
"I hope you are well. I read a post where you mentioned shariah law. Tell me, what do you understand about it?"
This young lady has been a very good friend of our oldest daughter and I have always found her and her entire family delightful. I answer her question with great respect.
1. First, you must understand, I am an American with ancestors who landed here on the Mayflower, some who helped found Jamestown, and some who were among the Native Americans who received them here. My family has probably participated in all of the battles that have been fought in this country, including the American Revolution. This country and its institution are dear to me. I believe America offers the world's best hope for freedom and opportunity.
2. I believe in the concept E Pluribus Unum that is on the great seal of our country, our currency, and elsewhere. It means "out of many, one." But citizens must be willing to become one of the "one" or we lose the tranquility provided by our Constitution.
3. I believe that the Constitution of our great country embodies the supreme law of our land delineating the national laws of our land. This supreme law guarantees the rights of all Americans.
4. I believe that the reason our country has worked so well for the millions of people who have come from other countries is because those who came sought the freedoms that were afforded them under this Constitution and were willing to assimilate, learn English and participate as an equal citizen under our laws.
Now for Sharia and how I see it in relation to the Constitution.
5. From what I see of Sharia Law, it is a separate Islamic system of laws and courts that would deny an American the freedoms guaranteed under our Constitution. Countries that abide by Sharia Law cut off the hands of thieves, value women at less that of men, kill apostates, infidels (non-believers), blasphemers and those who commit sexual crimes as delineated by Sharia. Christians are being beheaded for their beliefs in countries that enforce Sharia Law.
Theft is punishable by the cutting off of the right hand.
A Muslim will get the death penalty for killing a Muslim but not a non-Muslim.
A Muslim will be forgiven for murder of an apostate, a highway robber and an adulterer.
A master will not be punished for killing his slave.
A woman can only have one husband, but a man can have up to 4 wives.
A Muslim woman who marries a non-Muslim is punishable by death.
A man can marry a baby girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
A girl’s clitoris should be cut (According to the Quran).
For a woman to prove that she was raped, she needs the testimony of four male witnesses.
Homosexuality is punishable by death.
A dowry is given in return for a woman’s sexual organs.
Sharia still participates in slavery and sex slavery. A Master is not punished for killing his slave.
When a woman is raped, the rapist is often not required to marry her, but only pay the bride price.
A rapist may only be required to pay the bride-money (dowry) without marrying the rape victim
A man can divorce his wife but a woman needs her husband’s permission to divorce him.
A man can beat his wife for insubordination.
A woman who was raped cannot testify in court against the rapist.
A woman can only testify in court about property cases and her testimony only carries half of the weight a man’s does.
A woman can only inherit half the amount a man does.
A woman loses custody of her children if she remarries.
If a wife is found rebellious then her husband is no longer obligated to support her.
If a wife is found to be rebellious this gives the husband the right to beat her and stop her from leaving the house.
Only a husband is allowed to divorce his wife. He can make the divorce official simply by saying: “I divorce you”.
A woman must cover every part of her body because it is considered a sexual organ (Awhrrah). Some Sharia schools will allow the face of the woman to be exposed and some will not.
A man is forgiven for killing his wife at the time he caught her in the act of adultery. A wife cannot do that because the woman she caught her husband with could be his wife.
Women in low level jobs cannot retain custody of their children when divorced.
A husband and wife’s possessions are not shared during the marriage, and a wife is not entitled to her husband’s things if he dies.
Men can have sex with women captured in battle or slave women. If they are married, the marriage is annulled.
To criticize or deny any part of the Quran is punishable by death.
A Muslim who stops being a Muslim is punishable by death.
To criticize or deny that Muhammad is a prophet is punishable by death.
A Muslim who is lead away by a non-Muslim is punishable by death.
To criticize or deny Allah (the moon god) of Islam is punishable by death.
Muslims can only eat meat that has been sacrifice to Allah (be Halal).
A Muslim who leaves Islam is to be killed immediately.
Non-Muslims are not equal to Muslims. They must follow Sharia law to be kept safe. They cannot marry Muslim women, have wine or pork in public, read their scriptures or openly celebrate funeral or religious holidays.
Non-Muslims are forbidden from building new churches or building them higher than a Mosque.
Non-Muslims cannot enter a mosque without permission.
A non-Muslim is not protected if he leads a Muslim away from Islam.
A non-Muslim cannot inherit from a Muslim.
A Muslim cannot sell weapons to anon Muslim who will use them against Muslims.
Non-Muslims cannot say anything derogatory against Allah, Islam or Muhammad and they cannot curse a Muslim. But a Muslim can curse a non-Muslim.
Banks must follow Sharia law and they are not allowed to charge interest.
Sharia law advocates the death penalty in these ways: Beheading, stoning, amputation of limbs, and flogging.
Testimony in court is not accepted from the lower class workers.
In order to support Jihad, Islamic law, and advance Islam, Muslims are obligated to lie (Tagiyya). They are told not to feel guilty, and are not punished for it.
Honor killing is not punished.
It is the duty of every Muslim to follow Jihad, which means: “To war against non-Muslims to establish the religion”.
The head of state is called a Caliph. Caliphs who do not follow the Sharia law are considered unfit to rule.
A Caliph (head of state) can obtain the office through force (Seizure of power).
Caliphs are exempted from being charged with certain crimes such as: murder, adultery, theft and sometimes rape.
It’s mandatory for a percentage of Zakat (charity money) to go to Jihad.
All commands of the Caliph whether just or unjust, must be obeyed.
The Caliph must not be a slave and he must be a male.
The Caliph must be removed by the public (Muslims) if he rejects Islam.
6. Countries that practice Sharia Law include: Egypt, Mauritania, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, the Maldives, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and certain regions in Indonesia, Malaysia, Nigeria, and the United Arab Emirates.
7. From everything I have read, Sharia Law sees as a universal goal of Islam an obligation to jihad against non-believers.
While many may argue what jihad really means, apparently a large number of Muslims have taken this edict to heart interpreting it as does the Muslim Brotherhood. Many have become radical jihadist terrorists:
“It is in the nature of Islam to dominate, not to be dominated, to impose its law on all nations and to extend its power to the entire planet.” —Muslim Brotherhood founder Hassan al-banns
“...change that the [Muslim] nation seeks can only be attained through jihad and sacrifice and by raising a jihadi generation that pursues death just as the enemies pursue life,” said Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Muhammed Badi in a September 2010 sermon.
Let me clarify. My doctor is Muslim. I have friends who are Muslim. I have great respect and fondness for the young lady who asked me to clarify my understanding of Sharia Law. But, I in no way, shape, or form believe that Sharia Law has any place in America. We are a nation of laws that guarantee freedom and equality to our people!
7. As for Khizr Khan, he is an immigrant from Pakistan who before immigrating to the US published papers supporting the supremacy of Islamic Law over "man made" Western Law.
“The invariable and basic rules of Islamic law are only those prescribed in the Shari’ah,” Khan writes in an academic paper entitled "Juristic Classification of Islamic Law." “All other juridical works… must always be subordinated to the Shari’ah.”
And yet Khan waved the Constitution condemning Trump of not understanding and supporting it.