Friday, July 20, 2012

More Hurdles in the Publishing Process

The process of publication becomes ever more convoluted. Yesterday I completed the author information on Goodreads and today I did the same for Amazon. I guess since I am now listed on Amazon like Navin Johnson in The Jerk when he found his name in the telephone directory and declared  -- "I'm Somebody!" Unfortunately, the book is already discounted and is still in pre-publication, so I hope that is not an omen for the future!

Each of these steps is important toward the ultimate goal which is actually having someone read that book that I imagined so vividly in my mind as I grabbed minutes here and there (waiting for dinner to cook and my husband to come home -- we won't mention the many times the fan was running and the windows were open because something burned, while the babies were napping, in the late hours of the night, and so on).  My husband would often have to call me twice while sitting next to me because I was so lost in the mental world of the battle at Horseshoe Bend, the middle of child birth, a pirate battle in a ship on the high seas, in the middle of Tampa Bay clinging to a spar while a hurricane roars. I have the gift of total concentration.

I learned it when I hid behind furniture reading books while my mother called me to run this or that errand for my siblings. (Okay, so I am ashamed of that now that they are gone.) But I was lost in another world far beyond the confines of my small town Alabama existence -- a chubby little girl with no social life until high school came along and I lost weight and tried out for EVERYTHING. Actually won cheerleader and the lead in the senior play!

Moral here? There's hope. As Annie would say (and my granddaughter Megan would belt out)

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!

You're always
A day
A way!

Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!

You're always
A day
A way!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!