Saturday, November 5, 2022

The Co-opting of Hallelujah

 

Remember when Hallelujah brought joy to your heart because it brought memories of the Hallelujah Chorus? Well, several years ago, I got duped by an article in the Panama City News Herald about some teachers from the public school doing a community sing-a-long with the Hallelujah. Of course they said Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, but I thought it was just a community sing with a rendition of the wonderful music by Handel. I was wrong. 

I expressed my concerns in a letter to the Bay County Superintendent and this is his response

I have learned a lot since 2017. Some of it is from the messianic rabbi, Jonathan Cahn, in his book, The Return of the Gods. He points out that Christian symbols in this Woke World get co-opted and perverted so that the original meaning gets lost. Think of the Rainbow. Are children taught the Christian/original meaning of the rainbow? The promise of God not to destroy the world again by flood? The same has happened to the joyous word Hallelujah. 

This song touched many a Democrat heart when Kate McKinnon opened Saturday Night Live after Hillary's loss with this version of Hallelujah and the original meaning has gotten lost. Co-opted. But, I want you all to read the words and tell me you think this is appropriate for students. Or do you think this is just another example of the social justice agenda replacing Christianity? 

I point this out because I did so enjoy the patriotic Christian program at my granddaughter's program. I will almost guarantee this song will appear at some program during the Holiday season. This is the America your social justice warriors proclaim. Is it any wonder so many young people now commit suicide? This hopeless world bereft of God's love?

Baby I've been here beforeI know this room, I've walked this floorI used to live alone before I knew youYeah, I've seen your flag on the marble archBut listen love, love is not some kind of victory marchNo it's cold and it's ever a broken Hallelujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah
There was a time when you'd let me knowWhat's really going on belowOh but now you never show it to me, do ya?Oh but I remember yeah, when I moved in youAnd the holy dove she was moving tooYes and every single breath that went through us, Hallelujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah
Maybe there's a God aboveAs for me all I ever seemed to learn from loveIs how to shoot at someone who outdrew youYeah but it's not a complaint that you hear tonightIt's not the laughter of someone who claims to have seen the lightNo it's cold and it's ever a lonely Hallalujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah
I did my best, it wasn't muchI couldn't feel so I learned to touchI've told the truth, I didn't come all this way to fool youYeah and even though it all went wrongI'll stand right here before the Lord of SongWith nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah
HallelujahHallelujahHallelujahHallelujah



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!